Antique Macey Furniture 6 Stack Lawyer's Bookcase c.1910
An antique Macey lawyer's or barrister's bookcase with patinated brass knobs, copper flashed bands on the sides and glass doors that open and slide in from the top. Quarter sawn dark Walnut finish with a Maple finish in the interior. Original labels on all shelves and stamped on the base. The whole piece is modular consisting of 8 pieces: the top, the bottom and 6 cabinets that all interlock. Original wavy glass in some shelves.
- CREATOR Macey Furniture Co.
- DATE OF MANUFACTURE c.1910-1920.
- MATERIALS AND TECHNIQUES Oak, Glass, Metal, Brass.
- CONDITION Good. Wear consistent with age and use. Structurally sound and sturdy. The bottom shelf's label is upside down.
- DIMENSIONS Overall: H 88.5 in. x W 34 in. x D 12 in., Interior Dimensions: H 11 in x W 32 in. x D 10 in.
The Macey Furniture Co. was founded by Fred Macey, who served as its first chairman along with his brother Frank, who also served as treasurer. In 1892 Fred began a mail-order business selling office desks made by other manufacturers, which were advertised in popular magazine as “the best $25 roll-top office desk in the world.”