Late 19th c. Globe-Wernicke 6 Stack Lawyer's Bookcase c.1890-1899
An original late 19th century modular 6 stack lawyer's bookcase in a Walnut finish with brass knobs, Japanned metal straps and glass doors that open and slide in from the top. Graduating size cabinets with three small, two larger and one larger on the bottom. The bottom shelf is larger in depth.
The whole piece is modular consisting of 8 pieces: the top, the bottom and six cabinets that all interlock. The top and the base have original "Globe-Wernicke" stamps.
- CREATOR The Globe-Wernicke Co., Cincinnati.
- DATE OF MANUFACTURE c.1890-1899.
- MATERIALS AND TECHNIQUES Wood, Glass, Brass, Metal.
- CONDITION Good. Wear consistent with age and use. No chips in the glass. Two glass panels have been replaced with new glass. Doors function properly. Three doors have the cross bar mechanism with sliding tracks and three doors just have the sliding tracks which suggests the latter could be circa 1910. One metal strap on the bottom is slightly bent.
- DIMENSIONS H 86 in. x W 34.25 in. x D 12.25 in. Top Three Shelf Dimensions: H 10.5 in. W 32 in. D 8 in., Middle Shelves: H 12 in. W 32 D 8 in., Bottom Shelf: H 14 in. W 32 in. D 9.5 in.