Antique Hamilton Typesetter's Metal Cabinet c.1920-1930
An early 20th century Army green typesetter's storage cabinet with 50 metal trays and numbered brass strips in front. Each tray is removable, reversible and some are stamped "Hamilton Mfg. Co." .
The metal trays were used by typesetters to store the metal typesets used for a job. The full trays were then placed back in backwards to indicate they are full. The piece is solidly built, structurally sound and has retained the naturally distressed look of an industrial piece of this kind.
- CREATOR Hamilton Mfg. Co.
- DATE OF MANUFACTURE c.1920-1930.
- MATERIALS AND TECHNIQUES Steel.
- CONDITION Good. Wear consistent with age and use. All trays have been cleaned but some trays have some rust.
- DIMENSIONS H 38.5 in. D 14 in. W 22.75 in., Drawers: H .75 in. D 13 in. W 8.97 in.
Edward Hamilton founded the original Hamilton factory, called J.E. Hamilton Holly Wood Type Company, in 1880, and within 20 years became the largest manufacturer of wood type in the United States.