Antique Macey Furniture 4 Stack Lawyer's Bookcase with Graduated Shelves c.1910
An antique Macey lawyer's or barrister's bookcase with graduated shelves, brass knobs, copper flashed bands on the sides and glass doors that open and slide in from the top. Quarter sawn dark Oak finish with a Maple finish in the interior. Original labels on two shelves and stamped on the base. The whole piece is modular consisting of 6 pieces: the top, the bottom and four cabinets that all interlock.
- CREATOR Macey Furniture Co.
- DATE OF MANUFACTURE c.1910.
- MATERIALS AND TECHNIQUES Oak, Glass, Metal.
- CONDITION Good. Wear consistent with age and use. Structurally sound and sturdy. The back on one shelf is slightly pushed out but doesn't affect the interlocking with the other shelves. Minor blemishes on the wood on the back.
- DIMENSIONS Overall: H 59.75 in. x W 34.25 in. x D 12.25 in., Gradated Shelves: Top: H 8 in x W 32 in. x D 10 in., Middle two: H 11 in x W 32 in. x D 10 in, Bottom: H 13 in x W 32 in. x D 10 in
The Macey Furniture Co. was founded by Fred Macey, who served as its first chairman along with his brother Frank, who also served as treasurer. In 1892 Fred began a mail-order business selling office desks made by other manufacturers, which were advertised in popular magazine as “the best $25 roll-top office desk in the world.”