Handmade Horse Pull Toy c.1950
This is an original toy horse pull ride. This horse is hand carved wood with detailed mane, glass eyes and a horse hair tail. The saddle is embossed leather with metal stirrups. The horse stands firmly on a wooden plank with steel wheels. This piece has retained its original finish and has the appropriate patina for the age and use. The tail has some minor loss of hair. The bridle appears to be missing.
- CREATOR Unknown. Possibly German.
- DATE OF MANUFACTURE c.1950
- MATERIALS AND TECHNIQUES Wood, Paint, Glass, Horse Hair, Leather, Steel.
- CONDITION Good. Wear consistent with age and use. Minor losses.
- DIMENSIONS H 26 in. W 20.5 in. D 9 in.
From hide-covered horses to early papier-mache sheep, goats, and cows, pull toys were introduced into the homes and hands of many children throughout the world. Like many toys throughout history, pull toys have roots in the ancient past. They have traces as early as 2000 B.C. in Egypt.