Set of Early Ray & Charles Eames for Herman Miller DCM Chairs c.1950s
This is a set of early Herman Miller DCM (dining chair metal) with Walnut veneer seat and back with metal legs. These chairs are fabricated from molded plywood seats and backs attached to a metal base, creating a minimal silhouette. The grain of the walnut veneer varies from chair to chair, exhibiting a range of movement and uniqueness within the set. The shock absorbers have been replaced on some of the chairs which is common. As expected, signs of use are consistent with age. Some minor scuffs and blemishes found on each chair and signs of oxidation on the frames.
- CREATOR Ray & Charles Eames for Herman Miller.
- DATE OF MANUFACTURE c.1950s.
- MATERIALS AND TECHNIQUES Walnut Veneer, Plywood, Metal.
- CONDITION Good. Wear consistent with age and use. Minor wear, chips
- DIMENSIONS H 29.25 in. W 19.25 in. D 19.75 in. Seat height 18.5 in.
Originally introduced to the world in 1946 at an exclusive MoMa exhibit, the "Eames Molded Plywood Chair" collection which included the LCW (Low or Lounge Chair Wood), LCM (Low Chair Metal), DCW (Dining Chair Wood) and DCM (Dining Chair Metal) chairs have captured the attention of designers and collectors for decades.