Mid-century Maple Carpenter's Workbench Desk/Console c.1960
An original mid-century carpenter's workbench topped with a William Sonoma 3/4" thick glass top. The base is stamped "Made in Finland" and has two working steel vices, a pull out draw, large bottom storage, an inlay section for carpenter's tools, several "dogs" (used to hold wooden pieces in place) spaced along the front and "14" stenciled on the side. The piece is structurally sound and has retained the original finish.
Overall height is slightly taller than a standard desk or dining table. An adjustable desk chair would be needed or slightly taller dining chairs to serve as a dining table.
- CREATOR Base: unknown. Glass: William Sonoma.
- DATE OF MANUFACTURE Base: 1960s. Tempered Glass: c.2014.
- MATERIALS AND TECHNIQUES Maple, Tempered Glass.
- CONDITION Good. Wear consistent with age and use. No chips on the glass. Glass has some surface scratches.
- DIMENSIONS Overall: H 31.75 in. x D 36 in. W 72 in., Glass: 36 in. x 72 in. x 3/4 in. , Base: H 31.5 in. D 38 in. W 66 in.
A carpenter's workbench is essentially a table fitted with various holding devices, such as bench stops and vises, made sufficiently strong and massive to be used for a variety of woodworking operations.