Early 20th c. Galvanized Steel "Justrite Wastcan" c.1940
This is an industrial strength, galvanized steel metal flip top waste can manufactured by the Justrite Mfg. Co., founded in 1906. This waste can was manufactured to hold oily rags and were commonly found in factories and tool and die shops. The piece has retained the original stamped brass underwriters' laboratories label and the name is embossed and stamped on the body. The bent steel strap foot pedal and transport handle retain the original bright red enameled finish.
- CREATOR Justrite Mfg Co., Chicago, U.S.A.
- DATE OF MANUFACTURE c.1940
- MATERIALS AND TECHNIQUES Glavanized Steel.
- CONDITION Good. Wear consistent with age and use.
- DIMENSIONS H 19 in. W 13 in. D 14 in.
This piece was salvaged from a tool and die shop located in the back of a hardware store in Mission District of San Francisco. The hardware store operated from the 1920s and closed in 2018.