"Baby Miner's Lamp" Flashlight c.1925
This is an original chrome and black flashlight nicknamed "Baby Miner's Lamp" with and octagonal metal head and retractable ring hanger. This piece has retained its original finish and has the appropriate patina and works properly.
- CREATOR Eveready Company.
DATE OF MANUFACTURE c.1925
MATERIALS AND TECHNIQUES Metal, Optical Glass.
- CONDITION Good. Wear consistent with age and use.
- DIMENSIONS H 5.5 in. Diameter 2" in.
Eveready got its start in the early 1900’s when the American Eveready Company, developer of the flashlight, joined forces with the National Carbon Company, developer of the first D-sized dry cell battery. The first flashlight was invented in the 1890's. Early in the flashlight's history, it was used as a novelty, a small light that could be attached to a man's tie or a woman's barrette—but it was necessary to carry a large battery pack to power the light.
As the flashlight developed, it became ideal for more conventional uses, and its size and shape evolved. Battery technology also improved—while battery power increased, battery size decreased, making the flashlight more portable and user-friendly.