Mid-century Solid Teak Grete Jalk for France and Son Sofa c.1960
A Grete Jalk's sculptural sofa for France & Son, this three-seater features sinuously contoured slats that create spectacular lines from all angles. The flared armrests, base and original inner-spring cushions have been professionally reupholstered in a blue-grey wool that contrasts beautifully with the warm solid teak frame. A scalloped back support holds the cushions in place.
Signed with the France & Son and John Stuart (importer and retailer of high-end furniture) buttons.
- CREATOR Grete Jalk for France & Son. John Stuart Inc.
- DATE OF MANUFACTURE Sofa: c.1960s, Fabric: c.2017.
- MATERIALS AND TECHNIQUES Solid Teak, Wool Fabric.
- CONDITION Good. Minor wear on the legs and back. Fabric a very faint mark on the right hand side back.
- DIMENSIONS H 30 in. x W 76 in. x D 29 in. Seat 17 in.
Most sources agree that the popular Danish manufacturing firm was founded in Denmark around 1948 by British businessman Charles W. France and Danish cabinet maker Eric Deverkosen. In 1957, when France’s son Julian France joined the company, the name was changed to France & Søn.