Bronze & Copper Plated Trojan Horse Bookend/Ashtray by Champion Products c.1930
This is an original pair of Art Deco style cast gray or "pot" metal Trojan horse bookend/ashtrays designed and signed by Phillip DiNapoli. Manufactured by Champion Products, Los Angeles USA. One bookend is an ashtray and one bookend is a pipe holder. Both pieces have retained their original copper and satin bronze finish and are in excellent condition with appropriate patina for their age.
- CREATOR Champion Products (Manufacturer) Phillip DiNapoli (artist)
- DATE OF MANUFACTURE c.1930
- MATERIALS AND TECHNIQUES Cast gray metal, copper & satin bronze finish.
- CONDITION Excellent. Wear consistent with age and use.
- DIMENSIONS H 6 in. x W 5.5 in. x D 4 in.
In the nineteen thirties and forties there were three prominent companies that primarily made trophies: Dodge, Champion and Trophy Craft; Dodge being the largest. These companies made a variety of small objects for the home including ash trays and bookends. All of these bookends were made from gray or "pot" metal, with bronze-like finishes that suggest trophies.